Thursday, September 02, 2010

On the Occasion of Eleanor's 81st Birthday

My mom, Eleanor, is 81 today.  Happy Birthday, Mom! 

I still think often of my grandmother's diaries, of what it must have been like to live in the 1920's, how hard life was, and how very different it was from the lives we live today.

If you find these diaries, even long after I posted them on this blog one day at a time for three years, I hope you, too, enjoy them and are reminded of how hard our ancestors worked for so little and how blessed we are with what we have today.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the diary and in fact have taken up the habit myself. Our lives are different, in some ways easier and some ways harder. With our notion of progress we have lost some things of value while we gained others. God bless you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your posts while doing a search on the year 1926. I have a set of minutes from a church group dating back to 1926 and going up to 1965. I am trying to figure out how to share the women's stories as they were quite the entrepreneurial bunch. Life was not so hard for them as they lived in the city, married to well-to-do men, but they worked very hard to make money for their church endeavors. They also helped many of the less fortunate in the city. Your blog is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete