Friday, January 11, 2008

Tuesday, January 11, 1927

Tuesday, January 11, 1927
Cloudy

A little better than yesterday but still the baby is cross and perhaps a little feverish. I washed the things I couldn’t send to the laundry which took as long as the weekly wash by machine. Then I made cookies.

(I guess Grandma had some clothes she had to hand wash. In past diary entries, she noted that when she sent the laundry out, it was to the "wet wash". They charged by the pound and then brought the clothes back wet, so Grandma still had to hang them up to dry. In the winter, I assume she hung the clothes inside to dry out.)

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if she hung clothes outside if it was above freezing. Or did she hang them in the attic, as I don't recall seeing clothes hanging around drying in the usable rooms. The basement may have been dry enough in some weather, but it was still a damp basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing laundry today and it is a cold day for California. Will only get to about 46 degrees. Even San Diego has freezing temperatures. However, I have a lovely clothes dryer in which to dry my laundry. Our lives are so much easier these days, and yet Ruth got so much done each day.

    ReplyDelete