Saturday, January 19, 2008

Wednesday, January 19, 1927

Wednesday, January 19, 1927
Rain

A couple of invitations over the phone today, one for Sunday School class tomorrow and missionary next Tuesday but I know I shan’t go unless a miracle happens for a I feel so shabby and I’d rather stay home if I can’t go feeling on equal footing with the others.

(Money was tight and I assume there was no money for store-bought clothes. It seems that Grandma made nearly all the clothes they wore. Grandma seemed to be a 'home-body' and wrote in her family history that she was very shy as a child.)

2 comments:

  1. Back then when a woman went out she wore her best dress, hat, shoes & gloves. Since most of the fabrics used were cotton I imagine they faded & looked dingy after awhile. Now I think facrics hold up much better & soaps are milder.
    she mentioned many times how shabby she felt, so stayed home. Too bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. The times were so different. Even in the late 40s/early 50s, appearances meant everything. My sister refused to attend college because she didn't have the clothes like the other college girls.

    ReplyDelete