Sunday, February 04, 2007

Thursday, February 4, 1926

Another day when Grandma did not write anything in her diary. I promise she resumed writing again on February 5th after her two day hiatus.

I have often thought what would Grandma think of life in the 21st century, with all the innovations and changes over the last 100+ years. And I think about words we use every day that she never heard... Internet, blog, even "digital".

I read today about someone who would know what Grandma might have thought. The oldest U.S. citizen, born April 20, 1893, just 5 months after Grandma, is 113 and lives not far from here, in Shelbyville, Indiana. She made the front page of the paper on Saturday, along with all the pre-game hype about the Super Bowl. She would know...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    It's a wonderful thing you are doing here - ery impressive. It looks like your grandma was just about as loquacious as my great-grandmother Della.

    I do like Aunt Marjorie's comments and your own comments.

    Have you transcribed the whole thing or are you doing it day by day?

    Keep up the good work -- Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. One change she couldn't miss would be all the hype surrounding football, basketball, and all the other sports teams. I wonder what went on in the sports world when she was alive. The only thing I remember was the father of one of my friends whould spend weekend afternoons listening to baseball on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, when you think about it, since they didn't have all the distractions we have today, they had lots of time to cook and sew and clean. There wasn't much else to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article in the paper. I wonder if she lives close enough to you that you might visit and talk about the old days??

    ReplyDelete