Saturday, February 17, 2007

Wednesday, February 17, 1926

Wednesday, February 17, 1926
Warm and cloudy

Was on my feet all day cleaning up the house, starching clothes, etc. Mama was here a little while. Knocked the day right in it’s middle. I oughtn’t to feel that way I know, but I would think she would see I have to quit work to hear her talk. But I suppose that’s what she got me for to talk to. I feel if I ever got caught up it wouldn’t matter, but I’ve been behind ever since Marjorie came. When I was done with my work Dick came in from having a fight with Richard Miller. Through no fault of Dick’s they got into it and Richard got Dick by the throat and I really believe would have killed Dick if Dale had not knocked him off. His prints were on Dick’s neck for hours. Then I had to bathe Dick & Ned, etc.

(Aunt Marjorie wrote, "I'm sure the Miller's were mean kids. The Smith boys occasionally had personal jealousies within the family but got along well with most of the neighborhood kids."

Of course, no mother believes her children are at fault, especially if the other kids are known to be mean!)

2 comments:

  1. Hummm....today Richard Miller would be sent to juvenile detention for such an act. Charges pressed. Parents involved. Newspaper headlines: "Attempted Murder". Of course Richard's parents would have countersued Dale for "knocking him off" and claimed their son's actions toward Dick were in self-defense. Life was sure much simpler then, wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it was the other kids fault.The Dick I remember wouldn't cause a physical fight, (unless some tried to cheat at chess) lol

    ReplyDelete