Monday, June 19, 2006

Friday, June 19, 1925

Friday, June 19, 1925

Gilbert starts his vacation. Taking care of the sick and we had planned so much fun in the country. Dale and I both so sick. The whole upper right side of my face and forehead and glands and tonsils poulticed with antiphlogistine. I look like I had been in a fight.

(It is nice to read that in 1925, Gilbert's company provided him with vacation time. It is not so nice to read that it started out with half the family too sick to do anything. By "fun in the country", I think Grandma was referring to them going to Crawfordsville, where Gilbert grew up. I checked and it is about 50 miles from the east side of Indianapolis to Crawfordsville, and today that trip would take right at one hour with the interstates. If you chose to avoid the highway, the trip jumps to 56 miles and takes 1.5 hours. They didn't have a car, so they probably took a bus to get there, which would have added to their trip time. It was definitely not a small trip for a family of two adults and four young boys to make.)

No comments:

Post a Comment