Saturday, June 17, 2006

Wednesday, June 17, 1925

Wednesday, June 17, 1925

Poulticed myself up, my head bursting it seems. Gathering up one nostril and back of the eye. Now I can sympathize with the little ones. Dale got up with sore throat, fever, etc. Albert still feverish. We’re all plastered up with antiphlogistine. It’s a relief but oh, my. Papa started his taking iodine inwardly. Mama did the same.

(If I were writing a book about a housewife and mother in the 1920's, I would have long ago made everyone healthy and not continued all this discussion about being sick. However, this isn't fiction, it is Grandma's real life and so, we continue on. I looked up "antiphlogistine" and it is a paste that you can still get today, but many of the references are for a type that is used on horses for muscle strains. A quick check on iodine shows that it was indeed taken to cure "impending colds". I am sure Grandma's parents didn't want to get what she and her family all had!)

2 comments:

  1. I just want to reach back in time and give them all an antibiotic. It's amazing that they all survived with no lasting damage from all this illness (Uh-oh, am I giving away too much of the story?) I feel sorry for Grandma. She had a hard life, and knowing what is in store for her, I feel even more sorry for her. Was her life typical of the times do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister with the homestead, you did not give too much away. I've previously noted in some of my comments what the boys grew up to become, and I've got their dates of death listed in the description of the blog.

    ReplyDelete