Monday, April 09, 2007

Friday, April 9, 1926

Friday, April 9, 1926
Fair and warm

A big day for my new set of dishes came. The Maytime pattern, Martha Washington design very good looking, however the salesman misrepresented the things to me to get my order and I had to pay freight and have it hauled out, which I was not expecting to do. I had intended put in a big day sewing and got Gilbert’s shirt started and that’s about all. It took all afternoon to unpack and wash the dishes. Marjorie nursing and grabs my pen as I try to write so I will have to give up.

(The best I can do to provide a picture of what these new dishes looked like is this link on eBay, which may not be there for long. I don't recall dishes with this pattern. I have some of Grandma's plates, but they are all different designs. I'm told that when she got married, brides received all kinds of dishes with different patterns.)

3 comments:

  1. Carol, I was just thinking I'd have to look up that pattern at Replacements, and then saw your link to eBay. Clever you! That pattern looks vaguely familiar and I think I may have seen a piece or two of it in my mother-in-law's odds and ends of china.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should purchase that piece so that you have something like Grandma's. Or get all of us a piece, that would be better. I don't really remember seeing anything like that either.
    Kathy, the older sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember ever seeing that pattern of dishes when I was growing up. I do have her dishes she got around 1940, & I think it is called "rosebud". Her wedding gift china was all "Bavarian" or "Haviland" and no two pieces are alike. But they did make a lovely table setting.

    ReplyDelete