Sunday, March 05, 2006

Thursday, March 5, 1925

Thursday, March 5, 1925

Mama was over today. She told all about the banquet of O.E.S. she attended last night. Had a wonderful time. I ironed most of the day then went with her to the hat shop at the corner. They have the prettiest hats I ever saw. Wish I could afford one, but my last summer's one is in good condition and the style is still good.

(O.E.S. refers to Order of the Eastern Star. According to their website: "Eastern Star is a social order comprised of persons with spiritual values but it is not a religion. Its appeal rests in the true beauty of the refreshing and character-building lessons that are so sincerely portrayed in its ritualistic work. A deep fraternal bond exists between its members. It is the wholesome relationship of sisterly and brotherly love brought about through high principles exemplified in our lives which makes us near and dear to each other."

On the subject of hats, a general theme is that Gilbert (Ruth's husband) makes enough as an accountant to support his family but there is not a lot leftover for extras, like a new spring hat. (Plus, don't forget, they just bought two new rugs). Women almost always wore hats when they left the house to go to church or shopping or whatever. I don't know if Ruth's mother bought a new hat or not. Ruth's father (Dr. Rolla Campbell) was a physician specializing in gynecology/obstetrics, so one might assume he made a good living, but in 1925 he was probably well past his prime. Ruth also spoke about him making medicines when she was a little girl, and brewing up concoctions on the stove for long periods of time. The formation of the FDA in 1906 pretty much shut down those enterprises, as drugs became regulated for the 1st time.)

SPECIAL NOTE: If you are enjoying this blog, send me a comment to let me know. Feel free to send the link to other members of the family.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy rereading the diaries and your comments. Life then seems rather routine and maybe dull. I can't imagine having to cook without a microwave oven and not having a car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog, and I am enjoying it... My Mom was born in 1924, so I am thinking back to the kind of stuff my Grandmother faced in her day... I never knew her so this gives me some insight into what she might have been like.

    Neat idea....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just found your blog and am catching up with the journal. It's wonderful to read both it and your comments.

    ReplyDelete