Sunday, April 23, 2006

Thursday, April 23, 1925

Thursday, April 23, 1925

Intended to iron but it was such a warm breezy day that I decided to wash bed clothes first. These nights are so warm we don’t need any covers so it was a dandy day for it. The old washer was going five hours - a bigger job than I expected. Cut the curtains for the front room upstairs today between washers full.

(I'm not sure what kind of washer Grandma had. I am pretty sure that my other Grandma, who lived on a farm, had a roller-type washer for a long time. She still had it in the basement when we visited as kids. She would have had to run clothes through the washer rollers by hand. I think this Grandma had a washer she could load up and let it run. If you want more info on what type of washer she might have had, check out this information from the History Channel.

They must be going through an unusual hot spell with the weather. Yesterday, it was too hot to walk barefoot on the sidewalk, and now they don't need covers on the beds. I'm sure after she washed the covers, she hung them outside to dry, which would take a while. I almost positive from her comments that she doesn't have a clothes dryer.

And her energy must be back. She's cutting out material for new curtains, and doing all that washing, and no comments about being tired, feeling bum, or anything like.

The record high for April 23 was set in 1925 -- 88 degrees.)

4 comments:

  1. my ancestor used tub and wash board in that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up at 2:00 AM and read all of your entries up to date. My Father was born in 1915, my mother in 21, but my husband’s father was born in 25. I find it very interesting in the day to day life back then. I have never been hooked on soap operas but these journal entries are addicting. Do you have any other journals or do they just end in 27? You should scan one of her entries so we could see her handwriting. She probably has lovely penmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good suggestion to post a copy of an actual page from the diary. I will do that when I have some time to scan a few pages. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "rollers" were wringers to extract the water from the clothes after they were washed and rinsed. These would have been on most washers until the 1950s!

    ReplyDelete