Monday, January 22, 2007

Friday, January 22, 1926

Friday, January 22, 1926
Colder

The boys came home with their grades. This is promotion day. I was real proud of their records, no tardiness or absence. Dale had 3 A+’s and one B in music – the rest A’s. Dick had a record of mostly B’s with a few A’s. Both had the best mark in the character development side. Dale was very much disappointed that he won’t have Miss Torreau again this term. I’ve felt so dull and depressed lately, can never get my work done any more. Too draggy to accomplish much.

(Aunt Marjorie commented that she thinks that Grandma was eating too many buckwheat pancakes, which is why she felt all draggy.

I did find out that they advanced grades at the beginning of the calendar year, and not in the fall as we do today.)

4 comments:

  1. That's kinda weird that they graduated in January and not May. Did they also finish High School in January rather than May?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know that I'm reading your Grandmother's Diary blog. she was a young housewife in Indiana at the same time my grandmother was, too. I think my grandmother's life must have had some similarities. I didn't comment back when you asked us to because I tend to read about a week at a time, usually on Mondays.

    You don't need to post this.

    Hope you find more diaries. I've really enjoyed getting to know your family.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have had my down days too with four kids and all that ironing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course she was depressed. It was winter and cold. All those kids. All the housework. And she never mentions cooking, but you know she was cooking 3 meals a day. The prep and clean up had to be horrendous. She seemed to have no friends or outside activities except for an occasional church meeting.

    ReplyDelete