Saturday, January 13, 2007

Wednesday, January 13, 1926

Wednesday, January 13, 1926
Clear and cold

Hurried to get my work done. Took care of the laundry then Mama came over and I didn’t know whether I would get to the Mothers’ meeting at school or not but she left early and I left the babies asleep and left them with the boys. Enjoyed the meeting and came home to find the boys has been so noisy they frightened the baby and she was so nervous and crying. I feel as if I can never leave her again. After supper we made fudge which turned out fine. Then I played the piano – the first time for a year at least and the boys sang some of the familiar school songs. They haven’t any voices and really can’t sing but I wouldn’t tell them that for the world. I’m glad they want to sing and will try.

(Aunt Marjorie wrote, "As adults, Dale, Albert, and Eleanor were fairly good singers, I could carry a tune, but it didn't sound like it was worth it. (I sang a lot to my babies!) In my recollection, Dick refused to sing at all, and Ned loved to sing & whistle and couldn't carry a tune, no way, no how!"

And I was astounded when I first read these diaries as I did not know that Grandma knew how to play the piano. There was never a piano in her house when we visited as kids, so I don't know what happened to it. Perhaps she sold it later in life when she might have needed the money.

Overall, sounds like a great evening.)

1 comment:

  1. Eleanor -- is this true? You can sing and you never told us? LOL!

    ReplyDelete