Monday, August 28, 2006

Friday, August 28, 1925

Friday, August 28, 1925
Warm

Could hardly navigate. Sent Dale and Dick down town to get Daddy a birthday present. Don Carper went too. They went to Stewarts, then visited all the 10 cent stores and got them some toys. Some experienced little men! I cleaned the dining room, but it was hard to keep at it I felt so draggy. I’m anxious to get my heavy work done, then rest and sew.

(I’m not sure Grandma ever mentioned what the boys bought Gilbert (Daddy) for his birthday, but I did find some brief information about Stewarts on this website.

They are quite experienced little boys, for their ages. Dale was not quite 10 and Dick was 8 or so years old at this time, if I’ve done my math correctly, and they were allowed to take street cars and buses around the city by themselves. On this day, she sent them down town to shop, not just to stores a few blocks away, so they would have had to take a street car.

I assume Grandma told the boys they could also buy themselves some toys, or she would have mentioned them being in trouble for doing so. I assume if they got the toys at the
10 cent stores, they probably paid about 10 cents per toy.)

1 comment:

  1. What a difference. My 10 year old and 8 year old are not even allowed out in our front yard for any length of time without adults with them. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but it is a completely different world.

    ReplyDelete