Thursday, August 24, 2006

Monday, August 24, 1925

Monday, August 24, 1925

Sent the washing to the laundry again and they were back at two in time to dry them today. However I put in a big day, washing the bed clothes we have been using this summer and all the curtains in the house. Reaching up, stretching and hanging them just takes all my breath away. Gilbert late and didn’t paint.

(Grandma was sure working hard to clean up the house and get everything taken care of before she had the baby, due in early October. Remember from a few days ago, she had decided to send the laundry out to be washed, and they brought it back wet, so she still had to hang it out to dry and then iron it all. Seems like sending out the clothes to be washed just gave her the time to wash other items that weren’t generally washed every day, like bed clothes (sheets and blankets, I assume) and curtains. I’d guess there were 7 sets of curtains to wash, not counting curtains on the glass front door or curtains in the smaller windows that were in the little rooms tucked under the eaves in the upstairs.

Grandma has made comments before that implied Gilbert wasn’t all that interested in painting and fixing up around the house. Keep in mind before you judge him, he did generally use a cane to walk, due to one leg being quite a bit shorter than the other, plus he suffered from hay fever, so he just might not have felt up to the task at hand.)

3 comments:

  1. I've read the entire journal to date! I love it. Why is it only 2 years long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The diary will continue for 3 years, because I have 3 years of her diaries. We are actively seeking information for later years from some cousins, but this is what I have for now.

    I happy to hear you are enjoying her diary. I add a new day every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find more, because when this ends, there will be many of us readers who will be sad!

    ReplyDelete