Saturday, August 12, 2006

Wednesday, August 12, 1925

Wednesday, August 12, 1925
Hot and rain

I finally got my clothes dry after about ten o’clock. It rained up till then. Mama and Edna came over to help me sew, but of course there was more visiting than sewing. The smell of the paint made me pretty sick for a while. Had a headache most of the day. Dale went to Mama’s and carried home a big black cat, “Sambo”.

(There are certainly differences between 1925 and 2006. First, Sambo is not a politically correct name for a black cat. Second, pregnant women today stay away from areas being painted because of the potential harmful affects of the paint, especially lead paint, which is what they would have used in 1925. Remember a few days ago, Gilbert scraped the kitchen ceiling to get it ready to paint? Imagine the amount of lead-laced paint dust and chips that kicked up, in the kitchen where food is prepared. It's a wonder, isn't it, that they all survived in those days!

By the way, I don't know who Edna was and when I asked Mom she said she vaguely remembers the name but doesn't know what relationship Edna was to them. Any family reading have an idea?)

No comments:

Post a Comment