Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Saturday, September 19, 1925

Saturday, September 19, 1925
Hot

Put in a big day cleaning etc. putting my house in order for the event which must be near now. I have felt so very tired, my back and hips ache so that it must be the beginning of the end. If I had money enough I would have Mrs. Little come now so as I could rest. But I can’t afford it. Dale and Daddy went to the 10 cent store and got me my dishes this PM.

(Keep in mind that Grandma probably didn’t know her exact due date. Mrs. Little is the woman she interviewed a few weeks prior, who would eventually come and stay with them to help out after Grandma had the baby. )

2 comments:

  1. We calculate everything so carefully these days, it's hard to imagine not "knowing" when your baby is supposed to be here. I remember the impatience of those final weeks and counting down your time left, what would it be like not having a date to count down to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In mother's time a new mother was kept in bed for a couple of weeks. Now a mother is lucky if she gets to stay in the hospital for 2 days. Then its back home and back to work taking care of all the children plus the new baby. A mother is considered lucky if her husband or other relative can help her out.

    ReplyDelete