Friday, September 08, 2006

Tuesday, September 8, 1925

Tuesday, September 8, 1925
Warm

School started. Dick was delighted but Dale was a little loath to give up play. He had been having so much fun lately. Ned had a little stomach ache this AM and insisted on having the witch hazel bottle. I gave it to him. Then he wanted his waist unbuttoned. After it was open he proceeded to rub witch hazel on his stomach. Then he was better. Rain this evening that put Gilbert out.

(I doubt the witch hazel really did anything for Ned, but it must have been something he saw others do, so he wanted to do it, too. Here’s one source of info on what witch hazel was used for. Remember that a "waist" was what Grandma called a shirt.

I am hoping my mom reads this and provides more information on the elementary school they attended. I’m not sure what grades they were starting, but think perhaps Albert was going into 1st grade, Dick into 3rd grade, and Dale into 4th or 5th grade.)

5 comments:

  1. I noticed some other comments about this blog being hard to read because of the brown background. Mine is that way too. The only one that I can read is the current one, everything else is dark brown with pink letters. Wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no brown background, so this could be a function of what type of monitor someone has. However, I don't want to dissuade someone from reading the diaries so I will investigate *very carefully* updating the template. Wish me luck?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too weird. Mine are all pink background with brown writing. I am presently at work (Shhh!!! Don't tell that I'm reading the site while I'm at work!) My computer at home also is pink background throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For identifician, I am Ruth's youngest daughter Eleanor, born 9-2-29. We never foung her diaries she wrote after my sister was born in 1925. Maybe she was too worn out.
    We all went to school # 54 at tenth
    and Dearborn sts. (brookside elementary, then on to Arsenal Technical High school, called Tech.Of course we always walked, no bussing then. If we got our shoes really wet in the rain, they let up go home. Gee, I wonder how we always got so wet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still enjoying the diary here. I wanted to add my 2c on the formatting -- I see a dark pink background with brown text (except the very top of the page / newest entry, which has a white background). It is hard but not impossible to read. I use a Mac with OSX, and Safari as my web browser if that helps you troubleshoot.

    ReplyDelete