Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Sunday, May 10, 1925

Sunday, May 10, 1925
Rain

Dale and Dick and I went to Sunday school and church this AM and the two boys took Mama a box of candy this PM as it was Mother’s day. They stayed and played flinch till dusk and we called up and told them to send them home. Gilbert and I had a quiet afternoon and he went to church in the evening to hear Rev. Ben L. Smith as this was his first day as a supply pastor for us.

(Grandma makes no metion that the boys gave her something for Mother's Day, but surely they must have if they took a box of candy to their grandmother. Mother's Day was still a relatively new national holiday at the time, having been established in 1914 to be on the 2nd Sunday of May. I am assuming Albert is still sick and so they took turns staying home with him, which is why Gilbert went to church that evening.

Flinch is a old card game. Check out the details at this site.)

2 comments:

  1. What you are doing is great. I wish I could do the same. Unfortunately my late grandparents didn't leave any diaries or journals what so ever. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother still plays Flinch with all her grandchildren. In our family, it's a card game that's still alive and kicking!

    ReplyDelete